Would you like more information about FIESTA?

Click "webform" if you'd like us to contact you... Web Form

Friday, August 31, 2012

‎"Year After Year We Roll with the Changes"

Sometimes when I'm around 'those other parents' who are overwhelmed by their kids’ C in math I want to scream, "You have NO IDEA what overwhelmed is all about!" Some days I'm so overwhelmed by the needs that are waiting to be met and the daily concerns for keeping everyone safe, that I sometimes I can't even make myself cry. My body needs to but my mind says "No Time For that!" I see these perfectly manicured mothers who are dragging their kids along while I'm blessed that mine are "timed-in” and safe to this overweight, sometimes-showered mom!

Now that we have many years of being an adoptive family under our belts, I've had the privilege to know that the really bad times come and that they'll come again, then they'll roll away. Last night I sat laughing/crying because I realized this yet again. Rollin’s leg was cut with a chain saw and one of our most traumatized kids saw it happen. This 'Tough' kiddo that won’t allow affection came straight in and hugged me. Sweet baby. I teased him later that it wasn't the trauma from his past that is the problem, it's the trauma that we saw with his dad! He laughed. Four months ago I lost enough vision to be considered legally blind. But as a family we are going thru it together.

The point is... we keep going. We can't stop and get stuck. We can't consider defeat and I, for one, refuse to be backed into a corner. Somedays, all I can do is to decide to roll with the changes and make sure everyone is safe! The things that overwhelmed me a few years ago I don't even feel today. Life truly is good. Monica Cohu.

“I'm glad our house isn't the only one I feel should be wearing warning signs that say ‘Family Under Construction,’ ‘Things may get loud,’ ‘Beware: High Voltage-Emotional Overload Danger!’ Sarah McCord

No comments: